Monday 4 December 2017

Celebrity Magazine Cover

1. Summarise the music celebrity you have created. Include name, music genre, personality and how they are being used to comment on contemporary celebrity
The music celebrity I created is known as Harv, a short and catchy name, which is popular in modern society. The genre is rap, more specifically British rap, as I feel there is a difference in style between British and American rap. His personality is not that of a typical rapper, he isn't as angry as the typical rapper, and I intended it to connote this. The comment on contempary society is in the text, which encourages women to get involved in the rap scene, which is something thta doesn't happrn in the genre at the minute.
2. Evaluate how you have constructed the representation of your celebrity through your cover image and cover headline/text (denotation/connotation of text and image).
I followed a stereotype of rapper through the costume, as often they wear large jackets as well as a cap. This represents his personality as typical of a rapper, but the text involved questions this. Often rappers rap about women in a mysoginistic way, but the text on the cover shows my celebrity as questioning this and therefore representing my character as more socially aware. Therefore, he is represented as a typical rapper but more socially aware than the rest.
3. Analyse how far you have used and/or challenged stereotypes of gender/race/age/sexuality in your cover.
I have challenged stereotypes of gender in my poster, as through the text I have encouraged females to get involved in the British rap scene, as there are no big ones at the minute, so I have challenged this to a large extent. I have also challenged race stereotypes in the British rap game, as none of the large British rappers are white, for example Stormzy, Krept & Konan and Dave are all black. Therefore, by my character being white, I have challenged this stereotype as well. However, I have used steretypes of age and sexuality, as most rappers are young and are also heterosexual.
4. Reflect on the production/editing process.  Are you pleased with the end result? Identify what is successful about your shot?  What would you have done differently in hindsight?
I am relatively pleased with the end result of this project. I believe the pose and the costume is successful in my shot, as it clearly connotes the rapper genre. I also believe the red and white colour schemen is successful, as it is aesthetically pleasing. In hindsight, I would've attempted to add further text on to the cover, to promote other stories inside, as well as add a barcode and a date and issue number.



No comments:

Post a Comment