Saturday 18 November 2017

Video Games and Me

What
From a young age I can remember playing video games. When I was about 5 I would play the PS2 with my Dad every Friday night, often playing the FIFA '06 World Cup game. I have mainly gamed on consoles, as since I have played on a PS3, wii and PS4, but have also played on portable devices such as a PSP and my phone.
When
I can only game nowadays on weekends, as during the week I have a lot of schoolwork to do. However, in previous years I would play in the evenings. Of course, during holidays I can play as well.
Where
Most of my gaming has been at my house. My PS3 was previously placed in the front room, but since the arrival of the PS4 I have gamed in my own room. However, when I had the PSP, and now with my phone, I do game sometimes when I am out and about.
Why
There are many reasons for me playing games. For example, it brings social connections when I play online with my friends (often on FIFA). It also provides an opportunity for escapism, you can immerse yourself into the world of the game. Games are also a perfect cure for boredom.
Who (With)
When I was younger, I would only play with my Dad. As I've grown older, I have started to play by myself, and sometimes with my brother. That's what I feel a large appeal of gaming is, the chance to play by yourself - you don't need other people around you to enjoy yourself. Having said that, it is more fun when you do play with others, be it online or in person.
How
Games can be played without even pressing anything nowadays, as seen through VR headsets or previously the XBOX Kinect. They can be played with just the touch of someone's fingers on a phone or tablet, but I believe the best form of gaming is with a controller and a TV. Holding the controller gives you a sense of excitement that a touchscreen phone doesn't give you.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work, Harvey! I especially like the last three sections as you start to make connections about the audience pleasures and psychology of gaming, using some key terminology (e.g. escapism/immersion).

    ReplyDelete