Monday 15 January 2018

2. Existing adverts/campaigns I have researched and how these have influenced my ideas

Research into existing adverts is absolutely crucial in creating my advertising campaign, as it allows for me to understand the codes and conventions of TV adverts. Without this, I would not know what appeals to my target audience and not know what to do. Overall, four existing adverts influenced me the most in my campaign.

1 - CK2 fragrance TV ad


On the right is the CK2 TV ad, which inspired my choice in target audience. The advert is targeted at 16-25 year olds, which is very similar to the age range of my target audience. It is also a unisex fragrance, which again is the same as Wave.
However, what makes the advert unique is that it is targeted at forward thinkers, who encourage people being themselves. For example, one scene in the advert features a homosexual couple, and another scene features two women lifting their tops up. These actions are seen as breaking stereotypes and rules that have been in place in society for years.
Thus this advert influenced me as it showed me that people who want to be different and break stereotypes is a large target market, and inspired my choice in this category of people.
2 - Old Spice Questions ad
Whilst this is actually an advert for body wash and not deodorant, it still inspired me a lot. The advert features a half-naked man talking to the audience directly, whilst he is moving through all different scenarios - for example at one point he swan dives.
This mainly inspired me through the idea of breaking the fourth wall, which I will feature a lot of in my advert. Also, this advert features a lot of humour, which is a technique that is suggested in the brief. For example, he rolls a log on water before walking on the water, which is meant to be humorous. This inspired me to add humour into my advert.
3 - Nivea Stress Protect ad
This advert is for Nivea stress protect deodorant, that is targeted towards men who are making a career and starting a family, so it does not overlap with my target audience much.
The advert uses voiceover to talk through the storyline whilst adding facts about the deodorant e.g. it's stress protection. The main character is running late for his daughter's play, so has to find a different way into the hall.
This advert inspired me to use voiceover a lot in my advert, as it can be a useful tool that can explain the USP of my deodorant (allowing you to break stereotypes and be yourself), and move the story of the advert forward.

4 - Secret Ladies room ad
This advert tells the story of a woman that looks different to the other women and is scared to walk into the ladies room. This has connotations that the woman may be transgender and it is her first time in her life that she is in the ladies room.
This advert uses emotional appeal very well in order to sell their product, and has a message about not being afraid to break stereotypes.
This inspired me to use emotional appal in my adverts, although it may not be the focus of the advert like in this example. Many of my target audience may not like what men or women like, and so whilst humour will be the main focus of my advert, I intend to incorporate some sense of emotional appeal as the TA may feel that the situation in my adverts will appeal to them.

Overall, these four adverts have inspired my ideas a lot, and without them I would not have been able to think of ideas for my two television adverts.

No comments:

Post a Comment