Monday 8 January 2018

Homeland continuity task

1. What was your role in the task and what did you actually do?
My main role in the task was to act as a CIA agent in the scene, which can be seen in the video above. However, I also helped decide what was going to actually happen in the scene, but that role was minimal.
2. What factors did you have to take into account when planning, filming and editing?
One large factor was keeping this in the style of Homeland, which affected how we created the story. To do this we made it a blackmail scene, as these are featured heavily in Homeland. Homeland also tend to reinforce middle eastern stereotypes, which we followed by making the person we are blackmailing be from Iran. Another factor was keeping it continuous, specifically with the opening of the door and the positioning of the folder. This affected filming and editing, as when filming we had to make sure the folder would be in the same place and in the edit we had to make sure there was a match on action with the door.
3. How successful was your sequence? Did you manage to demonstrate match-on-action, shot-reverse and the 180 degree rule? Did you achieve continuity overall?
Apart from bad acting from myself, I believe that my sequence was successful mostly. The main issue was the positioning of the folder between shots and reverse shots, as the folder slightly changed place between both. I believe that there was a successful match on action in shots with the door and shots of me tucking the chair in. The 180 degree rule was not broken during my sequence either.
4. What have you learnt from completing this task?
I have learnt how to edit a match on action successfully and I have learnt to use master shots in editing a conversation rather than just shot-reverse. Clearly I need to learn how to act but overall this task has been very enjoyable and I have learnt how to edit a sequence relatively well.

2 comments:

  1. You have made excellent progress throughout the exam preparation stage of the course, demonstrating both confident analysis skills and strong creative decisions. Well done Harvey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made excellent progress throughout the exam preparation stage of the course, demonstrating both confident analysis skills and strong creative decisions. Well done Harvey.

    ReplyDelete