Tuesday 30 January 2018

6. What I have learnt about industry in relation to television advertising and how I intend to use this knowledge and understanding to ensure my production is appropriate to the media industry context of the set brief I have chosen.

The ASA are the body responsible for regulating adverts, hence it's full name being 'Advertising Standards Authority'. Whilst they do not have the power to prevent an advert from being published, they can remove the advert based on the complaints received about it from the public. Therefore, it is vital that I understand these rules and do not break them in the making of my advert.
The list is very long and not all of the rules apply to me, so below I will be breaking down the articles of the list that are relevant to me. Click here if you wish to see the full list.
It is also very valuable to understand the channel of E4, as this is the industry in which the adverts will be shown. It is vital to understand the brand identity of E4 and the target audience in order for my advert to appeal as much as possible to the target audience of that channel.
Finally, to make my production appropriate to the media context set by the brief, I need to understand the rules and regulations of copyright music.

ASA

4.2 Advertisements must not cause serious or widespread offence against generally accepted moral, social or cultural standards

This is a rule that can often be broken by mistake, for example a company may not notice that something in the advert offends someone. This was the case in the advert on the right - the infamous Kendall Jenner Pepsi ad. This advert was pulled by Pepsi before being banned, but this was due to the widespread offence it caused, as many said that it mocked and over-simplified the civil rights movement in the US. This therefore caused widespread offence against moral and cultural standards.
I have to take this into account this rule, as if I am not careful one of my adverts may offend people of the LGBT community.


3.12 Advertisements must not mislead by exaggerating the capability or performance of a product or service
Again, this is a rule that can be very easily broken, as a company wants to sell their product as much as possible and therefore exaggerate the effects. The advert to the left is a Rimmel London mascara ad featuring Cara Delevigne which was banned for exaggeration. In this case, the use of fake eyelashes made it seem like the mascara was giving this effect, when it was not.
Considering the USP of my product, which is it helps people be themselves and break society's rules, this rule will be very important to me. I need to make sure that I am not saying that the deodorant makes you be yourself, but that it helps you be yourself.

4.9 Advertisements must not condone or encourage violence, crime, disorder or anti-social behaviour

This is a rule that may not be as relevant to me but I still needed to take it into consideration when creating my adverts. The Be Stupid campaign by Diesel on the right was banned for encouraging anti-social behaviour, as many thought it would have a negative effect on people, specifically younger people.
Therefore, when planning my advert I had to take into account that there could not be any antisocial behaviour. I originally planned for graffiti, but this would encourage antisocial behaviour so I scrapped that idea early on.
5.1 Advertisements that are suitable for older children but could distress younger children must be sensitively scheduled
The advert on the left is an Asda advert that received 62 complaints, but these were not upheld by the ASA, and the advert was allowed to run. Many found the advert to be distressing to younger children, due to the girl having green eyes and a seeming lack of control over herself.
However, the ASA deemed the advert to be alright considering the Halloween celebrations at the time. The upbeat music connoted a happy mood in the advert, and therefore made it less scary.
Whilst my advert isn't targeted at children, it will still be shown before the watershed so I have to make sure that my advert will not distress younger children.

E4

E4 is a channel that is targeted at 16-34 year olds, and airs mainly comedy/reality shows, with
the Inbetweeners being the most famous comedy and Made in Chelsea the most famous reality show. I hope to use young actors to be relatable to the young audience of E4 as seen by their young target audience. Also, I intend to appeal to the youthful audience of E4 by portraying situations that may be relatabale to them, for example looking for love on a dating app. Prime time E4, so 7-9pm, during the week is filled by the Big Bang Theory and Hollyoaks, with other shows in the rest of the 2 hours changing within the week. This influenced my ideas massively, as I hope to feature comedy heavily in my adverts to appeal to the E4 audience, who are watching comedy shows such as the Big Bang Theory. Viewership is predominantly female, although considering Wave is a unisex brand I have chosen to ignore this fact when thinking of the ideas for the adverts, as I want to have equal appeal to both male and females.

Copyright Free Music

As stated by the brief, everything in my advert must be original apart from the music, which must be copyright free. Therefore, when making my advert music needs to be copyright free. I intend to use the Youtube channel called Audio Library, that has been verified by Youtube themselves, on the right is an example of copyright free music from their channel. This means that when I add the music to the advert, there is no legal right of the music creator over the material I produced, and therefore the adverts are accredited to me only.
The music I plan to use will be listed below. All is from Audio Library:
Positive Rock by HookSounds

Succotash by Silent Partner

Ether by Silent Partner
Dog and Pony Show by Silent Partner


Overall, understanding the ASA codes and rulings is vital when creating my advert, as it had to be created to last. If they were to draw complaints, then they would be taken down and therefore the product would attract negative attention. It is also vital to understand E4's target audience, and therefore design my adverts to appeal to the target audience. Also, it is integral to understand the rules of copyright free music.

No comments:

Post a Comment